Our team has started rolling out Visual Studio 2012, and it’s been largely issue-free. In fact, the only issue that we’ve run into is a weird one: the debugger gets screwed up while debugging unit tests. What I mean by “messed up” is that you step over a line, and it jumps down several lines, variables don’t get set; you know, wonkiness!
Luckily, we were able to find this MSDN forum post, which describes our problem and how to solve it.
The problem seems to be related to the solution test settings file. The solutions presented in the forum are to remove the old test settings file or to remove the AgentRule section from the file. We tried these, and it worked for us, too.
Looking a little deeper, we found that the issue occurred when debugging unit tests–running them worked fine–in VS2012 for a solution created in VS2010 with code coverage enabled. Even with all that, the issue did not occur regularly. It worked fine on my machine, but not on my colleague’s. We removed the old test settings file but re-enabled code coverage 2010-style from within 2012 to maintain backward compatibility.
From the same forum post, there is a link to the issue on Microsoft Connect, but the issue has been “deferred” by Microsoft’s development team.